Everyone has a particular passion or project they have always wanted to try to help them decompress from the stresses of the day-to-day grind. Whether it be running a marathon, learning a new language or completing a DIY project for the first time, there is a hobby that can bring you both joy and a little extra income for your budget.
For mothers who work from home, it can be a challenge to find the time to decompress from all the stresses of motherhood, work and taking care of your home. But with the right hobbies, you can easily begin to feel a sense of balance and fulfilment from your days once more.
Outside of being a nice form of side income and stress relief, hobbies can bring you many other benefits too.
The Importance of Cultivating a Hobby or Two While Working from Home
When it comes to being a stay at home working mum you may often think it is impossible to have a hobby and meet all the demands of raising a family – and with good reason. Picking a hobby can be tricky depending on a few factors such as your child’s age, schedule and the many other demands for your time.
Factors to consider when choosing a hobby:
- How much time do you have to spend on a hobby?
- Is the hobby inclusive enough for children?
- How much money are you willing to invest towards your new hobby?
- Is it a hobby you have some skill in or are you looking to try something new?
- Is the hobby a viable alternative source of income and/or benefits my family?
While not all hobbies will offer you a source of side income, some hobbies can be beneficial to you in other ways.
Other ways a hobby can benefit you and your family are:
- Prevents you from losing yourself and maintains control over your life
- Helps your mind and body feel rejuvenated
- Hobbies can give you a sense of perspective
- Can be a perfect way to teach children new skills
- Allows you to feel a sense of achievement
- Hobbies give you a chance to express your creativity
- Allows you to develop your talents and other areas of interest
Top 6 Hobbies That Can Bring You Peace of Mind, Harmony and Income
Finding a work-life balance is a hard task, however, once you have a hobby you enjoy doing, you will find yourself feeling more relaxed and ready to take on any challenge. While not an all-inclusive list of hobbies, this list is a great start when looking for something to do between work and spending time with your little ones.
1) Arts and crafts
Doing something with your hands can often be rewarding in many ways. From channelling your emotions to making your own business in the crafts industry, there is a wide selection of crafts to choose from.
- Make jewelleryMaking your own jewellery comes with many benefits. You can monetise it, make personalised gifts for friends and family, learn about the different materials, and you can make pieces that suit your tastes instead of buying mass-produced jewellery. Supplies vary in price range depending on which materials you want to use most.You will need pliers, a crimping tool, wire cutters, beading wire/string, beads, crimp beads, a measuring tape and a quiet place to assemble the pieces. If you are unsure on where to start, there are a selection of tutorials and books on how to make jewellery of various kinds.
- Knitting and crochetingNothing beats the warmth of a handmade sweater from mum or a nice pair of socks or mittens. There are many different wonderful items you can make by simply using a pair of knitting needles (or a crocheting hook) and some colourful yarn.This hobby can be tedious to learn at first but very rewarding over time. You can sell many items you make or give them as gifts. Knitting and crocheting are also fun ways to challenge yourself thanks to the many different patterns available.
- Quilting A fun way to get rid of old clothing and create a wonderful heirloom of memories in the process. Quilting takes a bit of sewing skill but is a great way to repurpose old clothing, fabric scraps, curtains and so on. You can sell your handmade quilts, gift them or keep them for personal use.Quilting is also a great hobby to share with your children since you can teach them how to sew. All you need is a sewing machine with the required stitching options, a pile of fabric, thread, scissors, and space to put it all together.
Making sure there is a warm meal on the table can be tedious, but the benefits often make the time spent worth it. You get to explore the world of nutrition, provide your family with healthy meals and snacks and try out all of the different flavours that food offers.
Blogging, writing books, vlogging – all growing industries thanks to the rise of technology. If you are passionate about something or have been dreaming of becoming an author, then this is a great hobby to try. It is one of the most inexpensive hobbies to do since all you need is a pen/pencil, paper and your thoughts.
A healthy mind often benefits the most from a healthy body. Many mothers often feel like they are unable to keep up with their little ones or feel depressed. If you are feeling down then try a 30-minute exercise session or go for a jog in the park. Establishing good exercise habits can also benefit your children too and prevent health problems such as obesity.
Taking part in the community can be a rewarding venture for you and your children. You can take part in organisations such as charities, religious institutions, animal shelters, soup kitchens, homeless shelters and so on. Volunteering can be beneficial for both you and your children since it can open up opportunities for future scholarships, work, and more.
If you are looking for something that can give you a breath of fresh air, help cut down on produce purchases, add a touch of colour in or around your home and learn a valuable skill, then gardening is the perfect hobby for you. Whether it be a simple veggie patch, a herb box or an array of blooms outside your window, gardening can help you feel in touch with the earth and yourself.
All in all, there are many ways one can spend their time doing something they love both alone and with family. Investing in yourself is just as important as investing in your family and work. After all, a little self-care can go a long way and even bring you closer to the ones you love!
LEARN SOMETHING NEW
GET INSTANT ACCESS TO 100+ ONLINE COURSES
- Courses provided by New Skills Academy
- Over 200k students already trained
- Study in your own time and from any device
- CPD certified qualifications
- Verifiable certificate upon completion of the course
- Gain 12 months access to over 100 courses for a one-off payment